Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Frustating

Where are the WMDs? That nagging post-invasion question still nags me. Were they destroyed before the invasion? If so, then why didn't Saddam demonstrate this and keep his palaces? If they weren't destroyed before the invasion, were they sent to Syria? Did the looters get `them and sell them? Are they still in Iraq but we're just too incompetent to find them? All of the above? I can't seem to productively think about this issue. No theory I come up with satisfies. I am reduced to considering wholly unsatisfying possibilities, such as many weapons components simply being sold as scrap. I guess I will just have to file my questions in the back of my mind, along with other modern mysteries, like who was responsible for those anthrax attacks. 'Tis frustrating.