Monday, May 02, 2005

Recommendations

As regular readers know, I'm a data junkie. As such, I'd just like to name three particularly data-filled and excellent books of science that are accessible to the intelligent lay reader and that I recommend to the intelligent citizen:
The Skeptical Enivronmenalist: Measuring the Real State of the World
Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life
These books have all greatly added to my understanding, and I can't stress enough how delightfully empirical and thorough they are.

Would you recommend another book with lots of data presented in an accessible way? Then please leave a comment. One potential example that comes to my mind is Freakonomics, but I haven't read this (yet).

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

No Excuses: Closing the Racial Gap in Learning by Stephan and Abigail Thernstrom has a lot of statistics and is a very good book.

5/14/2005 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home