Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Toric Minesweeper. (Hat tip: Geekpress.) This reminded me of an idea I've had for a long while: toric Go. If one isn't inclined to create a computer visualization, one could simply declare the opposite edges of a regular Go board to be adjacent. (Numbering the edge points would be a helpful visual aid.) Still on my long todo list is to actually play a game of toric Go. Meanwhile, I can speculate. First of all, the rules would not need to be changed. (In technical terms, the rules make sense for any graph.) Also, the first move wouldn't matter thanks to translational invariance. Most interesting to me would be how the early game would change. Without corners and edges, it might take many more stones before it is even clear who is trying to control what territory.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vader said...

When I was in high school, we played around a bit with various periodic topologies for chess. The only one that really made any sense was periodicity in files; it preserved the essential features of the pawn structure and promotion.

11/30/2005 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home