Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Cans in a car

I'm moving to a new apartment and saying goodbye to the Dr Pepper cans I accumulated at my old place. I counted (and recounted) 1819 Dr. Pepper cans in my bedroom, all emptied of their sweet contents over a period of 733 days. (Average: 2.48 cans/day.) Dave W. pointed out to me that my combined MIT and UW-Madison Dr Pepper consumption exceeds 3000 cans in number, 280 gallons in volume, and a ton in weight.

As with my MIT collection, I was determined to give these 1819 cans a proper send-off. I ultimately settled on trying to fill my car. I drive a little Hyundai Accent; without doing any calculations, I was worried the cans wouldn't all fit. So, I made sure the car the completely empty---even the glove box. However, by the time the trunk was full, it was apparent that there was more than enough room for all 1819 Dr Pepper cans. In fact, the vehicle was quite safe for travel with two people sitting in front, after the application of some plastic bags and tape along the sides of the front seats to prevent the cans from flying forward. The only difference between before and after driving was that fewer cans were neatly stacked.

Thanks goes to Krista, whose stacking skills and conversation made filling the car go much faster.

7 Comments:

Blogger David said...

A fantastic post.

8/30/2006 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder if your kidneys share your sense of humor about the 1718*12 oz = 0.64 tons of Dr. Pepper...

8/30/2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger sedenion said...

Perhaps this is why God gave me two. ;)

8/30/2006 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you kidding me! i thought i drank a lot of pop...

8/30/2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger The Pundette said...

You should contact Dr. Pepper's home company and see if there's an endorsement deal to be made :)

8/31/2006 12:52 PM  
Blogger Al-Ozarka said...

Was there enough aluminum to build an airplane?

9/05/2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger sedenion said...

When I recycled the cans, I was informed they weighed 48 pounds.

9/05/2006 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home