Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Conjecture: A necessary (but not sufficient) condition for experiencing visual beauty is a high ratio of information to area. (Here I mean information that actually informs the human viewer, like the intricacies of a fractal, as opposed to the mere entropy of a floor randomly sprinkled with confetti.)

Actually, I just want to link to some maps/graphs from VisualizingEconomics.com, and I felt like prepending some nice words. I won't go so far as to say these images are beautiful, but they are informative, and I am pleased to look at them.
Modal US Ancestry by county
Share of world GDP since 1500: China, India, US, etc.
Technology adoption curves since 1900
Income vs Happiness---I really like this one: intranational and international correlations are elegantly shown on a single graph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home